WARNING: IRS Scams Continue to Harm Mainers
Congressman Poliquin’s offices in Lewiston, Bangor and Presque Isle are here to help victims of IRS fraud
LEWISTON – Phone scams from IRS impersonators continue to exploit taxpayers in Maine at alarming rates. These ongoing attacks have directly harmed countless individuals in Maine’s Second District, most of which are seniors. Congressman Bruce Poliquin’s offices in Lewiston, Bangor and Presque Isle are available as resources to anyone who has been targeted or suspects that he or she has been targeted by these scam artists.
“It is despicable to me that there is an entire illegal industry today that exploits so many honest, hardworking citizens,” said Congressman Poliquin. “It is especially disturbing that these scam artists target our seniors in particular, who are more likely than anyone else to fall victim to these criminals.”
When answering phone calls, it is important to remember that the IRS will NEVER:
- Call to demand immediate payment or call about taxes owed, without first having mailed you a bill.
- Demand that you pay taxes without giving you the opportunity to question or appeal the amount they say you owe.
- Require you to use a specific payment method for your taxes, such as a prepaid debit card.
- Ask for credit or debit card numbers over the phone.
- Threaten to bring in local police or other law-enforcement groups to have you arrested for not paying.
Congressman Bruce Poliquin’s Offices:
- Lewiston: 784-0768 or visit 179 Lisbon Street
- Bangor: 942-0583 or visit 6 State Street, Suite 101
- Presque Isle: 764-1968 or visit 631 Main Street, Suite 2
For additional information on how to defend against identity theft, please visit https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Identity-Protection.
Congressman Poliquin has worked hard in Congress to combat scams against Mainers, especially our seniors. In February, Poliquin introduced the Senior $afe Act in the House, which will provide important protections for seniors to combat investment fraud, an enormous abuse of the investment market that exploits about one-fifth of investors aged 65 or older. Poliquin’s bill is companion legislation to Senator Susan Collins’ bill in the Senate.